Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Why I liked what this girl wrote?

In a not-so-significant corner of an equally insignificant newspaper, today, I read a small article that perhaps deserves a wider audience. I am a man who thinks with my heart. When I read this article, the point that the girl was trying to convey struck a chord somewhere in my heart where it mattered.

Truth speaks a beautiful language, and makes love what it is.

So here it is, called Confessions of a Suburbanite by Kristen Intindola:

Damn you Cinderella. Your Prince Charming just had to sweep you off your feet, didnt he ?

When you are a young girl, the idea of a prince on his white horse coming to carry you off to your dream relationship is jammed into your head. As we get older, we're a little disappointed to see that the white horse has yet to arrive. It's here we realize that men aren't all what they're cracked up to be. Neither are the relationships. Females seemed programmed to hope for flowers, candy and expensive jewelry. When you dont get them, we blame our boyfriends, but is it really their fault ? Is it time we let go of the fairy tale relationship we hope for as little girls and take what we have ?

Let's face it. This is the initial mold we have of relationships. Even our very first boyfriends probably gave us some type of plastic necklace and a lollipop. But we grow up, fall hard for someone and we realize that happiness takes on different forms. So do love and relationships. ( Get ready, men. I'm letting you in on a very big secret here). We mature and see that while roses are nice (and very necessary from time to time), they sometimes don't measure up to a wonderful gesture.

I'll be the first to admit that I've fallen victim to the idea of a fairytale romance. I've gotten the flowers, the matching Tiffany sets, the works. I love it all dearly, but last weekend, I received the grandest of all gestures. My boyfriend switched his review courses from Boston to New Brunswick, all to be closer to me. It's here that I woke up and realized that roses could never touch that. Sometimes, it's the smaller, more personal things that have more meaning. We tend to be so jammed pack with the idea of "perfection", that we lose sight of things and don't realize a good gesture when we see one. Most people would call this settling - but I call it being realistic.

I'm not telling you take the gesture over the earrings. I'm merely suggesting we females loosen up a little on the concept that a great piece of jewelry is the key to the door of happiness. So, ladies let's not blame our boyfriends. Blame Cinderella.

And I will just say this: sometimes, even those personal, heart-felt and dearest gestures don't work to tell your sweetheart how much you love her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anand said...

I agree!!!

(sob)

Sunday, October 16, 2005 7:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home